Spring Barley Salad with Lemony Dressing
If you need a little fix of spring, mix up a batch of this spring vegetable salad, sit back, and enjoy the season!
- For the salad
- 1cup dry pearl barley
- 1cup frozen edamame
- 1cup frozen peas
- 1/2pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/4cup onion, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2cup white wine
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper for seasoning
- grated parmesan cheese as garnish (optional)
- For the dressing
- zest of half a large lemon
- juice of half a large lemon
- 1/4cup olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When it’s hot, add pearl barely and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until slightly toasted.
- Add onions and wine and cook for about a minute before adding 3-1/2 cups of water and a pinch of salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
- While barley is cooking, mix dressing ingredients, then set it aside.
- Just before barley has finished cooking, add frozen peas, edamame, and salt and pepper to taste.
- When finished cooking, transfer the mixture to a serving bowl, pour in dressing, and toss to coat. Add tomatoes and gently toss them into salad.
- Serve and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese if you’d like.
Recipe courtesy of Patricia Conte, the independent writer and food blogger behind Grab a Plate where she shares (mostly) healthy recipes and bites in between. She credits her love of cooking, baking, entertaining, and eating to her Italian immigrant family who is also passionate about all things food!