Citrus Beet Salad with Creamy Avocado Lime Dressing
Citrusy and sweet, the avocado dressing adds a rich, nutty taste to the salad. Feel free to add nuts, seeds, grains, etc if you wish.
- For the salad
- 3medium red beets
- 3medium golden beets
- 2 navel oranges (or any variety)
- 1 grapefruit
- greens of choice (such as a mix of baby romaine and blanched beet greens)
- 5tablespoons fresh lime juice, or to taste
- 1tablespoon agave nectar (or other liquid sweetener)
- 1/4cup coconut cream (the cream from the top of the can)
- 2tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1teaspoon grapefruit juice (optional)
- tiny pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Trim both ends of each beet and wash well. Place a few beets on a large piece of tin foil. Drizzle with oil and wrap up. Do the same for the other 3 beets on another sheet of foil. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 45-75 minutes, until a fork pricks through fairly easy.Check beets after 30 mins of roasting, and every 15 minutes thereafter. Cooking time will depend on the size…mine took 60-75 minutes.
- With oven mitts on, carefully open the tin foil and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Now peel off the skin and discard. Slice beets into wedges.
- While the beets roast, prepare the citrus. De-pith and slice into segments (as shown in post). Set aside. Reserve the scraps of juicy flesh as you can use this to squeeze into your dressing.
- Blend the dressing ingredients together in a processor. I used my mini processor and it worked well. Adjust seasonings to taste, adding more sweetener, juice, or salt if desired.
- To assemble, add greens (I used a mix of blanched beet greens and baby romaine), followed by the beets and citrus segments, top with nuts, seeds, and/or cooked grains, and finally the dressing.
Recipe courtesy of Angela Liddon, the creator of ohsheglows.com, an award-winning vegan recipe website featuring hundreds of recipes and drool-worthy photographs. Angela’s passion for healthy food is contagious and she’s eager to show others that plant-based (and often gluten-free) food can blow your taste buds away.