Ahi Tuna with Golden Raisin-Ginger Cream
- Yield: 8 cups
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
- Golden Raisin-Ginger Cream:
- 4ounces California golden raisins
- 2ounces garlic cloves, peeled
- 8ounces red jalapeños (about 12 chiles)
- 1/2cup buttermilk
- 2tablespoons candied ginger*
- 2teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1tablespoon sesame seed oil (optional)
- 2cups mayonnaise (8 ounces)
- -- Tuna and mushrooms:
- 4-- sashimi grade tuna steaks, cut 1/2-inch thick (about 8 ounces each)
- 1/2teaspoon Sea salt
- 12-- Royal Trumpet mushrooms
- -- Coarse sea salt; for garnish
- -- Micro cilantro or small cilantro leaves; for garnish
- Combine raisins and garlic in small saucepot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until raisins are plump and garlic cloves are very tender. Drain and set aside. Char, peel and seed jalapeños. In food processor, combine raisins and garlic with jalapeños, mayonnaise, buttermilk, ginger, lime juice, salt and oil. Process until very smooth. Chill. Makes 2 1/2 cups.
- To Serve: Lightly season tuna steaks with sea salt. Sear to rare (145F) in very hot skillet. Cool to room temperature. Slice thin. Set aside.
- Slice mushrooms, lenthwise, 1/4-inch thick. Arrange slices of mushrooms in single layer on serving tray and arrange a slice of tuna on each. Top with a dollop of Golden Raisin-Ginger Cream and sprinkle with sea salt and cilantro leaves.
Chef’s Note: Perfect Purée (brand) candied ginger preferred.
Recipe by Chef Robert Del Grande.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 70
- Fat 2g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 15mg
- Sodium 95mg
- Carbohydrate 6g
- Fiber 0.5g
- Protein 7g
- Trans Fat 0g