- 2cups light brown sugar
- 1/2cup water
- 1/2cup brown rice syrup (optional)
- 8tablespoons vegan butter
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2cups slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1-2tablespoon coarse sea salt (optional)
- Line a baking sheet or 9 by 13-inch casserole dish with parchment paper.
- Place all the ingredients, except the almonds, baking soda, and salt, in a large, heavybottomed pan over medium-high heat. Stir well. Using a candy thermometer, cook until the temperature reaches 300˚, about 10 minutes. Do not stir the mixture. If you do not cook it long enough, it will not reach the brittle stage. If you cook it for too long, it may burn, so keep a close eye on it.
- Add the almonds and baking soda, mix well, and pour the mixture onto the lined baking sheet or casserole dish. Spread with a spatula to create about a 1/4-inch depth. At this point, you can sprinkle evenly with the coarse salt, if using.
- Chill in the refrigerator until the brittle hardens, about 10 minutes. Break apart with your hands to create twelve pieces of brittle and enjoy!
Add 1 cup of vegan chocolate chips when adding the almonds.
Add 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika along with the salt.
From the book The 30 Minute Vegan’s Taste of Europe, by Mark Reinfeld. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2012.