Anise-Adobo Chicken Drumsticks
- Yield: 4 servings
- 8-- chicken drumsticks
- 2-- scallions, chopped
- 1/3cup lite soy sauce (low-sodium)
- 1cup water
- 1/2cup rice vinegar
- 2-- bay leaves
- 2slices slices star fruit
- 4whole cloves
- 1teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4cup brown sugar
- 1/4teaspoon hot sauce
- 2tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 2tablespoons unsalted peanuts, chopped
- Prepare gas or charcoal grill, or preheat broiler
- In medium bowl, combine scallions, soy sauce, water, rice vinegar, bay leaves, star fruit, cloves, sesamie oil, brown sugar and hot sauce. Stir to combine
- Pour into large, lidded pan. Place chicken drumsticks in single layer in pan. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and gently simmer chicken for 20 – 25 minutes. (Chicken can be held in the refrigerator, covered in poaching liquid) up to two days.)
- Remove drumsticks from liquid, place on preheated grill or under broiler, and cook, turning, about 6 minutes per side, until chicken is cooked throughout and skin crisp brown.
- While chicken cooks, strain p[oaching liquid into small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook to reduce to about 1 cup of sauce.
- Remove chicken from grill, top with Cilantro and peanuts, and serve with sauce.