- Yield: 12 servings
This crisp works beautifully with either tart Granny Smith apples or the sweeter Golden Delicious variety; both hold their shape nicely when baked. Our test kitchen staff prefers a combination of the two.
- 1 lemon
- 3pounds Granny Smith and/or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch wedges
- 2tablespoons plus 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1cup old-fashioned oats, uncooked
- 4tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- Preheat oven to 425°F. From lemon, grate ½ teaspoon peel and squeeze 2 tablespoons juice. In 13” by 9” glass or ceramic baking dish, toss lemon peel and juice with apple wedges, cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, and salt until apples are evenly coated.
- In medium bowl, mix oats with remaining ¼ cup sugar and cup flour. With fingertips, blend in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press crumb mixture into clumps and sprinkle over apple mixture.
- Bake apple crisp 30 to 35 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is lightly browned. Cool crisp on wire rack for 10 minutes to serve warm, or cool completely (1 hour) on rack to serve later. Reheat if desired.
Reprinted with permission from 400 Calorie: Vegetarian by Good Housekeeping. Hearst, 2013.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 175
- Fat 5 g
- Saturated Fat 3 g
- Cholesterol 11 mg
- Sodium 145 mg
- Carbohydrate 33 g
- Fiber 3 g
- Protein 2 g