Asian Beef and Broccoli Slow Cooker Recipe
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1/4cup orange juice, divided
- 1/4cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 1/2pounds boneless beef chuck, trimmed of fat and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 1/2cups frozen broccoli flowerets
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- 1tablespoon orange marmalade (I substituted apricot preserves)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2cup dry-roasted cashews
- cooked brown rice, for serving
- In a bowl, mix 3 tbsp. orange juice, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, and ginger. Coat the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray. Add beef and soy sauce mixture; stir. Cover; cook on low heat 6 hours.
- Just before beef is done, microwave broccoli, covered, on high 4 minutes. Drain any liquid. Transfer beef to a large bowl and shred. Add the broccoli, cover and set aside.
- Place a small fine-mesh sieve over a small saucepan. Pour juices from the slow cooker into the pan. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and 2 tbsp. water. Add to the saucepan. Cook on medium and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining tablespoon orange juice, marmalade or preserves, and pepper to taste.
- Add about half of the sauce and the cashews to the beef and broccoli. Toss to coat. Serve over brown rice with remaining sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Kristine, an elementary school teacher and mother of two, who enjoys preparing healthy meals for her family. She believes life is all about balance, and shares recipes for nutritious meals as well as sweet treats on her blog Kristine’s Kitchen.