Asian-Flavored Chicken with Shiitakes and Bok Choy
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4tablespoons Olive oil (2 fl oz)
- 1 Shallot, minced
- 1tablespoon Fresh ginger, minced
- 1 1/2teaspoons Serrano chile with seeds, minced
- 1/3cup Gluten-free tamari (3 fl oz)
- 1/4cup Brown sugar, firmly packed (2 oz)
- 3 tablespoons Unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1tablespoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2pounds Skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 Baby bok choy, halved lengthwise
- 8ounces Fresh shiitake mushrooms, 8 oz, stemmed
- 4 Green onions, thinly sliced
- Cooked short-grain brown rice, for serving
- In a heavy small saucepan over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the shallot, ginger, and chile and saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the tamari, brown sugar, vinegar, and 3 tablespoons water and simmer until the mixture is reduced to 3⁄4 cup (6 fl oz/180 ml), about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the sesame oil. Transfer half of the mixture to another small bowl.
- In a large bowl, place the chicken. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste and toss to coat. In another large bowl, combine the bok choy and mushrooms. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste, and toss to coat.
- Prepare a grill for direct-heat cooking over high heat. Place the chicken on the grill rack and brush with sauce from one of the bowls. Place the vegetables on the grill rack. Cover the grill and cook the chicken until cooked through, brushing occasionally with the sauce, about 6 minutes per side. Cook the vegetables until tender-crisp and browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a warmed platter and sprinkle with the green onions. Serve right away with the rice and remaining sauce.
Book Credit: Williams-Sonoma Weeknight Gluten Free by Kristine Kidd (Weldon Owen, 2013)