Baked Coconut French Toast
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1cup light canned coconut milk (shake before opening)
- 1cup egg whites or egg substitute
- 1/3cup sugar
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3cup flaked coconut
- 1-- loaf French bread (whole wheat may be used), sliced in 1-inch thick slices
- Preheat oven 350F. Coat 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray
- In large bowl, whisk together the co¬conut milk, egg whites, sugar, and vanilla. Stir in the coconut. Soak the bread slices in milk mixture for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer bread onto baking pan in a single layer. Pour any remaining milk mix¬ture over the bread. Cover and refrigerate as time permits, preferably overnight.
- If making immediately, let sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes before baking. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until the bread is golden.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg's Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites: Over 250 Easy Recipes from My Louisiana Kitchen, 2008.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 246
- Fat 3g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 439mg
- Carbohydrate 43g
- Fiber 12g
- Sugars 10g