Baked Sesame Tomatoes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
- 4medium ripe tomatoes
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1tablespoon sesame seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. Using a sharp paring knife, cut out the cores of the tomatoes. Slice each tomato in half horizontally and scoop out the seeds. Place the halves cut-side up in a 13 x 9-inch rimmed baking sheet or casserole dish.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the garlic powder and salt and sprinkle the mixture evenly over the tops of the tomatoes.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, olive oil, oregano, parsley, and sesame seeds until crumbs form. Spread this mixture evenly over the tops of the tomatoes.
5. Bake the tomatoes for 20 to 25 minutes, until they are tender enough to be pierced easily with a fork but still hold their shape. Serve hot.
Reprinted with permission from The Naptime Chef by Kelsey Banfield, Running Press, 2012