Barley and Mushroom Salad
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1teaspoon honey
- 1teaspoon brown mustard
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- -- Salt and pepper
- 1/2-- red onion
- 1teaspoon olive oil
- 2 2/3cups vegetable broth
- 2/3cup pearl barley
- 4ounces raw shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1teaspoon salt
- To prepare vinaigrette: Whisk together vinegar, honey and mustard. Slowly add oil while whisking, until emulsified. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To prepare salad: Preheat oven to 350F.
- Peel onion half and coat with oil. Place on baking sheet and roast until tender, about 30 minutes. Chop coarsely.
- In a medium pot, bring broth to a boil and add barley. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until barley is tender (35 to 40 minutes). Drain any excess liquid; spread barley on a baking sheet to cool.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, cook mushrooms with 1 tablespoon of oil until tender. Mix sautéed mushrooms into cooled barley, along with onion, parsley, salt and Vinaigrette. Adjust seasoning as desired.