Basic Vinaigrette Dressing
- Yield: 1/3 cups
- Prep: 15 minutes
This is the most basic of all salad dressings. White wine vinegar is the classic choice, but apple cider vinegar also works.
- 1tablespoon white wine vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- pinch of brown sugar, optional
- 3tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1tablespoon water or to taste
- In a bowl whisk together the vinegar, salt, pepper, and sugar if using, until the salt has dissolved.
- Gradually beat in the olive oil until well blended. Taste for sharpness. If the dressing is too sharp, beat in some water, a little at a time, until your dressing is to your taste.
Recipe courtesy of Ann Ogden Gaffney, who while receiving treatment for her second cancer diagnosis saw the need to turn the nutrition advice from oncologists into easy recipes patients could make for themselves. By taking people to markets, introducing them to healthful ingredients then leading them through hands-on cooking classes to prepare food in healthy, cancer-fighting ways patients were empowered. In 2012, she launched Cook For Your Life an interactive website where people can search for recipes based on their treatment and dietary needs. She has also collaborated on important research studies that encourage people to incorporate more fruits and vegetables in their diets. Ann helps us all fight cancer with our fork and cook for our lives!