- Yield: 8 servings
- 2cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 2tablespoons sugar
- 1cup frozen berries
- 5tablespoons unsalted butter, diced and chilled
- 1cup milk
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
2. Combine the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Transfer a few tablespoons of this dry ingredient mixture to a small bowl and add the frozen berries. Toss to coat the berries and set aside the small bowl.
3. To the large bowl with the dry ingredients, add the diced butter. Cut it in until the butter resembles pea-size chunks covered in flour. You can either use a pastry cutter or two knives and pretend like you’re cutting steak with them over and over.
4. Add the milk to the dry ingredient/butter mixture and stir to combine. The dough will come together. Once the dough has come together, add the berries to the dough and gently fold them in until they are evenly distributed throughout. Handling it as little as possible to keep the butter from melting in your hands, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat it into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.
5. Cut the dough into 8 triangles. Transfer the triangles to baking sheets lined with parchment paper, a couple of inches apart. Brush with a bit of milk and sprinkle with a tiny bit of sugar, if you like.
6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the scones are puffed up and slightly brown around the edges. Serve immediately.
From the book Gluten-Free on a Shoestring, by Nicole Hunn. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2011.