Bison Wheat Berry Crock Pot Stroganoff
- 2 1/2cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1cup wheat berries
- 6ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1pound ground bison (or ground beef)
- 1cup celery, chopped
- 1cup green onions, minced
- 1/2cup zucchini
- 1teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2cup low fat buttermilk
- parsley and sriracha (optional but recommended!)
- Place broth, wheat berries, mushrooms, marjoram and pepper in Crock Pot on low setting. Cover and cook 6 to 7 hours.
- Coat large skillet in EVOO and brown beef for 6-8 minutes over med-high heat. Stir to break up meat. Add all veggies. Cook and stir until softened, approx 3 minutes.
- Incorporate beef mixture into Crock Pot. Pour and stir in buttermilk. Cover and cook on high for 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle some chopped parsley on top. Drizzle sriracha on top.
Recipe courtesy of Savor The Rainbow, where blogger Min’s motto is “live, dream, eat colorfully!” She is passionately pursuing her dream of becoming an RD to inspire and help others discover the joy and fulfillment of eating delicious but healthy foods.