Black-Eyed Pea and Stewed Tomato Salad
- Yield: 2 servings
Serve this salad as is or over coarsely chopped greens for an even heartier dish.
- 1can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed (or use dried, following package directions)
- 1small onion, finely diced
- 1small carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1small bell pepper, finely diced
- 4-5 stewed tomatoes along with their juice (I used cherry tomatoes)
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4teaspoon paprika (or chilli powder)
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped cilantro/coriander leaves for garnish
- In a bowl, combine black-eyed peas, onion, carrots, bell pepper, and green onions and keep aside.
- Drain the can of stewed tomatoes. Coarsely chop tomatoes and add to black-eyed-pea mixture.
- In a small saucepan, warm olive oil, few tbsp of tomato juice and paprika. Bring it to a boil, turn off and pour over black-eyed-pea mixture. Stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve immediately or refrigerate to serve as a cold salad.
Recipe courtesy of Siri, an avid food blogger and passionate photographer who believes in farmer’s markets, growing her own food, and eating responsibly and locally. She reviews local restaurants and writes about her culinary adventures and favorite recipes on her food blog, Cooking With Siri.