Braised Chicken with Fire-Roasted Tomatoes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 36 mins
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3/4cup reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (5 ounces each)
- 2tablespoons seasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips (about 1 cup)
- 1 onion, vertically sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 3/4cup shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 1. Combine tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, orange rind, salt and pepper in a large bowl; set aside.
- Lightly coat chicken with breadcrumbs. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook until golden brown, about 6 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet. Add green pepper, onion and mushrooms; sauté 7 to 12 minutes, or until mushroom liquid evaporates and vegetables are tender.
- Return chicken and any juices to pan; spoon vegetables over top. Add tomato mixture. Cover, bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until chicken is done, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook until cheese melts, about 1 minute.
Recipe by Jean Kressy.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Glycemic Load 0
- Calories 280
- Fat 12g
- Saturated Fat 4g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g
- Monounsaturated Fat 4.5g
- Cholesterol 90mg
- Sodium 510mg
- Potassium 450mg
- Carbohydrate 9g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 4g
- Protein 34g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 10%
- Vitamin C 35%
- Calcium 15%
- Iron 10%