Broccoli and Caramelized Onion Quiche
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1cup low-fat evaporated milk
- 1/2cup 2-percent milk
- 1/4cup fat-free sour cream
- 3large egg whites
- 2large eggs
- 1/2cup (2-ounces) shredded low-fat pepper jack cheese
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2teaspoons olive oil
- 1-- onion, diced
- -- Water, as needed, plus 1/4 cup
- 1cup chopped broccoli florets
- 1-- frozen pre-made 9-inch pie shell, thawed
- Whisk together evaporated milk, 2 percent milk, sour cream, egg whites and eggs in a nonreactive large bowl. Stir in cheese, basil and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use, up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Saute onions 8 to 10 minutes until well browned, sprinkling with a bit of water to prevent sticking, if needed. Add broccoli and 1/4 cup water. Continue to cook 3 minutes until broccoli is slightly tender and onions heavily caramelized. Most of the water will evaporate. Spread mixture evenly over bottom of the pie shell.
- Pour egg mixture into pie shell. Place pie pan on a baking sheet in case quiche filling cooks over top of crust. Bake uncovered in center of oven 35 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Want more help? Check out this step-by-step video on caramelizing onions.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 341
- Fat 17g
- Cholesterol 35mg
- Sodium 413mg
- Carbohydrate 33g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 17g