Brown Rice Gratin with Zucchini, Leeks and Goat Cheese
- Yield: 5 servings
When something is “gratin” or “au gratin.” it’s topped with breadcrumbs (and sometimes cheese) and browned.
- 2/3cup brown rice
- 1tablespoon canola oil
- 2medium (1 pound total) zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 1/2cups thinly sliced leeks (white and light green parts
- 4ounces goat cheese
- 2-- eggs
- 1cup milk
- 1/2teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 1/4teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Cook rice according to package directions. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 10-inch round gratin dish
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and leeks. Cook, mixing occasionally, 8 minutes or until squash is browned in spots and nearly tender. Lower heat if browning too quickly. Transfer to bowl with rice and toss to combine. Add cheese in small spoonfuls; mix to combine.
- Whisk eggs, milk, rosemary, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl; pour over rice mixture, mix to combine. Pour into gratin dish.
- Combine breadcrumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over gratin. Bake 25 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown and knife inserted about 1-inch from edge comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe by Jean Kressy.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 301
- Fat 14g
- Saturated Fat 7g
- Cholesterol 105mg
- Sodium 492mg
- Carbohydrate 32g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugars 7g
- Protein 12g