Mattie Ball Fletcher’s Buttermilk Biscuits
- Yield: 12 pieces
The secret to these biscuits is starting with a very wet dough, then dipping your hands in flour and, working very quickly, adding just enough flour for the biscuits to hold together.
- 1 3/4cups all-purpose flour
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 8tablespoons unsalted cold butter, divided
- 3/4cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450F and grease a baking sheet.
- Sift 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl. Add 7 tablespoons butter, working with your fingers, until the mixture has no lumps.
- Stir in buttermilk and let mixture stand a few minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup flour on a board or waxed paper. Dip your hands into flour, then scoop up wet dough, adding only enough flour to make it manageable. Pat dough into a rectangle about ½-inch thick on floured surface. Dip a 2-inch glass or a cookie cutter into flour and then into dough, cutting circles and placing them on the baking sheet, 1 inch apart. Repeat with remaining dough, molding any scraps into circles. Prick tops of biscuits with tines of a fork.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan or microwave and brush on biscuit tops. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, until golden.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 140
- Fat 6g
- Sodium 250mg
- Carbohydrate 14g
- Fiber 0g
- Protein 2g