Buttermilk Cornbread Dressing with Sausage and Figs
- Yield: servings
- 8cups toasted Buttermilk Cornbread cubes*
- 12ounces lean turkey Italian sausage (about 3 links)
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 2cups chopped onion
- 1/2cup chopped celery
- 1tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3 1/2cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/2cups coarsely chopped dried figs
- 1teaspoon dried sage
- 1teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2-- eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- -- *Buttermilk Cornbread
- -- Makes one 8-inch square pan for about 8 cups cubed cornbread.
- -- Cooking spray
- 1cup yellow whole grain cornmeal
- 3/4cup whole wheat flour
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon baking soda
- 1cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 2-- eggs
- 2tablespoons dark honey or agave nectar
1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Place toasted cornbread cubes in a large bowl, and set aside.
Saute sausage in small nonstick pan over medium-high heat until brown and thoroughly cooked. Drain well; crumble; set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and celery; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic. Saute 1 minute longer. Stir in 1/2 cup broth, sausage, figs and dried herbs. Simmer 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Pour vegetable mixture over cornbread. Add parsley and stir well. (Dressing may be prepared a day ahead to this point and refrigerated, covered, in mixing bowl.)
3. Transfer stuffing to a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Combine eggs and remaining broth; pour over cornbread mixture, tossing well. Cover baking dish with foil. Bake 25 minutes. Remove foil; increase oven temperature to 375 F and bake until top begins to brown, about 10 minutes longer.
For Buttermilk Cornbread:
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Combine buttermilk, olive oil, eggs and honey whisk well. Add to flour mixture and stir just until smooth. Pour into prepared baking pan. Bake 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
To toast bread cubes for the dressing:
Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut cornbread into 1/2-inch cubes. Place cubes on baking sheets; bake 5 to 7 minutes, until lightly browned.
From Spry Kitchen, Nov. 2008, "Happy (Healthy!) Thanksgiving"