Butternut Squash and Spinach Curry
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 1/2cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 2/4 lbs.), peeled and cut into 3/4 in cubes
- 2cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 to 3tablespoons curry paste
- 14ounces can chopped tomatoes
- 8 ounces bag fresh baby spinach, rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat oil in a large, deep pan, add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the butternut squash, garlic and curry paste and cook 2-3 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes and stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid and simmer for 10 minutes. (Add extra stock or water if necessary.)
3. Stir in spinach, cover and cook for 1-2 minutes until wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper and spoon into serving bowls, topping with plain, lowfat yogurt if desired.
Photographs and text reproduced by permission of DK, a division of Penguin Random House. From The Diabetes Cookbook. ©2013 by DK. All rights reserved.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 194
- Fat 8 g
- Sodium 240 mg
- Carbohydrate 26 g
- Fiber 6 g