Butternut Squash and Tomato Bisque
- Yield: 8 servings
You can make this creamy soup up to a month in advance and freeze. The day before serving, thaw it in the refrigerator and heat it either on the stovetop or in a slow-cooker.
- 3 1/2pounds butternut squash (4 cups squash pulp)
- 2tablespoons butter
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1large onion chopped
- 1-- (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes with juice
- 1 to 2tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 3 1/2cups lower-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375F. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Place squash cut sides down in a roasting pan. Add water to depth of 1-inch. Bake 30 minutes or until tender. Scrape pulp from squash to measure 4 cups.
- Heat butter and oil in a Dutch oven. Add onion; saute 5 minutes.
- Place tomatoes with juice in a food processor. Add maple syrup or honey; process until blended. Add butternut squash; process until smooth. Add squash mixture, chicken broth and salt to Dutch oven; stir well and heat through. Garnish with chopped tomato.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 143
- Fat 7g
- Sodium 540mg
- Carbohydrate 20g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 3g