Butternut Squash Soup with Apple Bruschetta
- Yield: 6 (for the soup) and 12 (for the bruschetta) servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
- 2pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks (about 3 cups cubed)
- 4cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1cup low-fat sour cream
- 1tablespoon butter
- 1/4teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- -- White pepper
- 1tablespoon sugar (optional)
- -- Chopped fresh chives for garnish
- Bruschetta (Optional):
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2tablespoons butter
- 3-- apples, peeled, cored and diced into quarter-inch cubes
- 2tablespoons sugar
- 1teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-- baguette, sliced on the bias, into 3/4-inch slices
- 1-- garlic clove, halved
- 1/4teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- -- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1tablespoon honey
- Combine squash and broth in a large saucepan; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until squash is tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover and cool.
- Purée squash in blender or food processor.
- Return purée to saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Stir in sour cream, butter and cayenne. Add salt and white pepper. If squash lacks sweetness, add sugar.
- Cook soup just until thoroughly heated but not boiling. Ladle into bowls and garnish with chives and Carmelized Apple Bruschetta, if desired.
- Warm a large sauté pan over low heat. Add butter and olive oil. Add apples; cook until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add sugar and cinnamon; cook, stirring frequently 8 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place bread in oven on sheet pan and broil until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Rub each slice of toasted bread with cut-side of garlic and brush with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Carefully drizzle a small amount of honey over the bread.
- Place a spoonful of apple mixture on top of each slice.
Recipe by Chef Jon Ashton.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 190
- Fat 9g
- Saturated Fat 5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g
- Monounsaturated Fat 2.5g
- Cholesterol 20mg
- Sodium 250mg
- Potassium 760mg
- Carbohydrate 23g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugars 4g
- Protein 8g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 330%
- Vitamin C 50%
- Calcium 15%
- Iron 8%