California Skinny Sweet Pea Soup
- Yield: 8 (1-cup) servings
- 3cups Real California 1% milk
- 3cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1cup peeled and diced russet potato
- 6-- scallions, whites only, sliced thin
- 12-- large fresh mint leaves
- 4cups shelled fresh or frozen sweet peas
- 1/2cup non-fat Real California sour cream or Greek-style yogurt
- -- salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a saucepan, bring milk and broth to a simmer and add potatoes. Cook, partially covered, about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add scallions and mint leaves; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add peas and cook about 5 minutes or until peas are tender but still bright green. (If using frozen peas, cook 2-3 minutes or just until peas are soft.) Cool soup quickly in a larger pot of ice water to retain its color.
- Purée in a blender or with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Just before serving, heat soup over low heat and season with salt and white pepper. (To serve soup cold, place pot with blended soup in a larger pot of ice water and stir until cold, or place in refrigerator for several hours or overnight.) Ladle into bowls and garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream or yogurt.
Recipe courtesy of the California Milk Advistory Board.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 131
- Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 5mg
- Sodium 143mg
- Carbohydrate 21g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 9g