Cauliflower and Arugula Soup
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1-- onion, roughly chopped
- 2-- garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1-- stick of celery, thinly sliced
- 1-- carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1large floury potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 1/4pounds cauliflower, two-thirds roughly chopped (including the core); one-third cut into small florets
- -- bay leaf
- 1/2teaspoon chopped thyme leaves
- 1quart good vegetable stock
- 1pint skim milk
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 2-- handfuls of arugula leaves
- 1/2teaspoon ground white pepper
Preheat the oven to 425F.
Heat half the vegetable oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic,
celery, and carrot and cook for 8–10 minutes over medium to low
heat to lightly color and soften the onion. Add the potato, and cook
until the potato starts to stick, and the edges start to soften.
Add the roughly chopped cauliflower, bay leaf, thyme, and stock
to the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for
15–20 minutes. Add the milk, and warm through without letting the
Meanwhile, toss the cauliflower florets with the remaining oil in a
bowl, then add the cumin and toss again. Place on a baking sheet and roast
for 12–15 minutes, until the cauliflower begins to brown, but still retains
Process the soup in a blender with the arugula and white pepper.
Blend it in batches, then pass through a fine sieve. Check the seasoning.
Drain the roast cauliflower and divide between the hot soup bowls.
Pour in the soup and serve immediately.
Recipe from The Essential Low Fat Cookbook by Anthony Worrall Thompson (Kyle Books; 2012)
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 118
- Fat 3.3
- Saturated Fat 0.8
- Fiber 3.2
- Sugars 8.6