Cauliflower and Pancetta Mac and Cheese
- 4ounces pancetta, diced
- 1head cauliflower
- 2tablespoons flour
- 6ounces pasta, elbows
- 4ounces Italian cheese blend
- 1 chicken stock concentrate
- 2 scallions
- 1cup reduced fat milk
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bring a large pot of water with a large pinch of salt to a boil. Once boiling, add the pasta to the water and cook 8-10 minutes, until al dente. Drain.
Tip: Toss the drained pasta with 1 teaspoon olive oil to prevent it from sticking.
- Cut the cauliflower into bite-sized florets. Thinly slice the scallions, keeping the greens and whites separate.
- Toss the cauliflower on a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place baking sheet in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and tender.
- Heat a medium pan over medium heat. Add the pancetta and scallion whites to the pan and cook, tossing 4–6 minutes, until the pancetta is crispy. Set aside, leaving as much oil in the pan as possible.
- Make the cheese sauce: Heat 2 tablespoons butter in the same pan over medium heat. Once melted, whisk the flour into the butter and cook, whisking constantly, for 1-2 minutes. Very slowly whisk the milk into the pan a little bit at a time, until combined. Add the stock concentrate to the pan, then bring mixture to a simmer for 1-2 minutes, until thickened. Remove pan from heat, then stir in the cheese. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir the pasta, pancetta mixture, and ¾ the cauliflower into the cheese sauce, then transfer mixture to a lightly oiled baking dish. Top with the remaining cauliflower, then transfer dish to the oven to bake for 5–7 minutes, until bubbling.
- Garnish the macaroni and cheese with scallion greens and enjoy!
This recipe originally appeared on HelloFresh as Cauliflower and Pancetta Mac & Cheese Recipe and is being used with permission.