Cheesy Squash Casserole
- 6 yellow squash, sliced 1/4 inch
- 1medium yellow onion, diced
- 3cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8cup extra-virgin olive oil (plus some more in reserve)
- 3tablespoons flour
- 2cups low-fat or 2% milk
- 1/2pound light cream cheese or Neufchatel
- 1/2pound gloucester cheese, shredded
- 1/4cup light sour cream
- 1cup panko (check label to get the type of panko with the lowest sodium and saturated fat)
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour to form a roux and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly. Next, whisk in the Milk and (adding the liquid slowly will prevent clumping of the roux or separating the milk). Add the Cream Cheese and the Gloucester and stir until both are completely melted. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Fold in light sour cream after cooled.
- In a separate sauté pan over medium heat with oil, sautee onions and garlic until slightly translucent (4-5 minutes). Add sliced squash and sauté until they start to soften (4-5 minutes). Add cheese sauce, enough to thoroughly coat squash, and remove from heat.
- Pour squash and sauce mixture into a greased casserole dish. Top with bread crumbs. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine. Copyright 2013. R. Mission Inc.