Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 1/4pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2slices center-cut bacon or turkey bacon
- 1/2teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2cups salsa, divided
- 1-- (15-ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1-- red of green bell pepper, seeded and chopped, optional
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- -- Salt and pepper
- 1bunch green onions, chopped
- 12-- (6-8-inch) flour tortillas
- 6ounces reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven 350F.
- Cut chicken into chunks; set aside.
- In skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towel to soak any excess grease; discard any grease in skillet. In same skillet, coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté chicken and garlic until chicken is almost done, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup salsa, the beans, bell pepper, cumin, salt and pepper. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until chicken is done. Stir in green onions and reserved bacon.
- Divide chicken-bean mixture among 12 tortillas, placing mixture downcenter of each tortilla. Top with 1 tablespoon shredded cheese. Roll up andplace seam-side down in 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spoon remaining 1 cup salsa evenly over enchiladas. Top with remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes, or until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted. If you want to freeze the dish for later use, freeze before baking.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg and Gerald Miletello’s Eating Well Through Cancer: Easy Recipes & Recommendations During and After Treatment (2001).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 455
- Fat 8g
- Saturated Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 73mg
- Sodium 1326mg
- Carbohydrate 50g
- Fiber 6g
- Protein 40g