Chicken and Sausage Chili with Fire-Roasted Tomatoes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1pound ground chicken
- 1/2pound uncooked chicken sausage (any variety), casing removed and crumbled
- 1tablespoon chili powder
- 1teaspoon paprika
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2cans (14.5 ounce) diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 6ounces can tomato paste
- 1can (15-ounce) pink or pinto beans, rinsed and drainked
- 1teaspoon hot sauce, or more to taste
- 1/4cup chopped scallions
- Optional Toppings
- Sliced pickled jalapeno peppers
- Shredded pepper jack cheese
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the chicken and chicken sausage and cook until browned, breaking up the meat and sausage as it cooks.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the chili powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper and stir to coat. Cook 1 minute, until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes and tomato paste and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add the beans and hot sauce and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Ladle the chili into bowls and top with the scallions and desired toppings.
Robin’s Note: When I tested this recipe, I used chicken sausage with green onion and garlic – it was perfect, but you can choose any sausage variety you want, even one with apples and onions.