Chicken and Sausage Gumbo with Okra
- Yield: 14 servings
- 1/2cup all-purpose flour
- 1pound reduced-fat sausage, sliced in 1/4-inch pieces
- 2pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- 1-- onion, chopped
- 1teaspoon minced garlic
- 1-- green bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 2stalks celery, chopped
- 8cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1-- (16-ounce) package frozen okra or fresh cut okra
- 1teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne
- -- Salt and pepper
- 1bunch green onions, choppped
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place flour on a baking sheet and bake 20 minutes, stirring every 7 to 10 minutes until a dark nutty brown color. Set aside.
- In large nonstick pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, stir fry sausage over me dium heat until crispy brown, and set aside. Remove any excess fat and recoat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring just until starting to brown. Add onion, garlic, green pepper, and celery, cooking until tender. Add browned flour and stir continuously.
- Gradually add remaining ingredients, except green onions. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. Add sausage and green onions, cooking about 5 more minutes. Serve over rice. Makes about 14 cups.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg's Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites: Over 250 Easy Recipes from My Louisiana Kitchen, 2008.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 160
- Fat 2g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 49mg
- Sodium 550mg
- Carbohydrate 12g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 4g
- Protein 22g