Chicken and Vegetable Rice Paper Rolls
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1quart water
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 12ounces chicken breast filets
- 4ounces bean thread noodles
- 1teaspoon sesame oil
- 1tablespoon lime juice
- 2tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 24 x 8-inch rice paper rounds
- 48 large fresh mint leaves
- 48 fresh coriander (cilantro) sprigs
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 medium red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 medium yellow bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 4ounces snow peas, thinly sliced
- Coconut Dipping Sauce
- 1teaspoon sesame oil
- 2cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2cups light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2tablespoons lime juice
- 1tablespoon sweet chili sauce
1 Place the water and ginger in medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Add chicken, reduce heat; simmer gently, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat; stand 10 minutes. Remove chicken with slotted spoon; discard liquid. When cool, thinly slice chicken. Cover, refrigerate 1 hour.
2 Meanwhile, make coconut dipping sauce.
3 Place noodles in large heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water; stand until tender, drain. Combine noodles in same bowl with oil, juice, and sauce.
4 Dip one rice paper round into bowl of warm water until soft; place on board covered with clean tea towel. Place 2 mint leaves and 2 coriander sprigs in center of rice paper; top with a little of the carrot, peppers, snow peas, noodles, and sliced chicken. Fold and roll to enclose filling. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make a total of 24 rolls. Serve rolls with coconut dipping sauce.
COCONUT DIPPING SAUCE
- Heat oil in small saucepan over medium heat, add garlic, onion, and ginger; cook, stirring, until fragrant.
- Add coconut milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened slightly.
- Strain mixture through fine sieve into small bowl; discard solids.
- Stir in fish sauce, juice, and sweet chili sauce; cool.
Preparation plus Cook Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes (plus refrigeration)
Reprinted with permission from Delish Diabetes Cookbook © 2013 by Hearst Communications, Inc.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 388
- Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 36 mg
- Sodium 345 mg
- Carbohydrate 59.4 g
- Fiber 3.4 g
- Protein 19.3 g