Chicken Enchilada Crock Pot Soup
- 2teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2cup onion, chopped
- 3cloves garlic, minced
- 1can can diced green chile peppers (4 oz)
- 3cups low sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1can tomato sauce (8 oz)
- 2teaspoons canned chipotle chili in adobo, minced
- 1/4cup chopped cilantro (plus more for garnish)
- 1can reduced-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained (15 oz)
- 1can diced fire roasted tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 2cups frozen corn
- 1teaspoon cumin
- 1/2teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 skinless chicken breasts (16 oz. total)
- 1/4cup chopped scallions, for topping
- 3/4cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese, for topping
- fat-free Greek yogurt, for topping (optional)
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and green chiles, sauté an additional 1 minute or until fragrant. Slowly add the chicken broth, tomato sauce and chiles in adobo and bring to a boil.
- Add cilantro and remove from heat. Pour into Crock Pot.
- To the Crock Pot, add drained beans, fire roasted tomatoes, corn, cumin, oregano and stir. Add the chicken breasts; cover and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add chicken back into the soup, adjust salt and cumin to taste. Serve in bowls and top with yogurt, cheese, scallions and cilantro.
Recipe courtesy of Amy, an art director by day and food blogger by night living in Chicago with her boyfriend and cat. You can find her posting recipes for healthy meals to sweet treats and everything in between at Amy Bites.