Chicken Pot Pie Stew
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1/2pounds “natural” fresh chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 2quarts low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4cup canola oil
- 1/2cup flour
- 1/2cup fresh carrots, diced
- 1/2cup onions, diced
- 1/4cup celery, diced
- 1tablespoon black pepper
- 1tablespoon salt-free Italian seasoning
- 2tablespoons salt-free chicken bouillon powder
- 1/2cup fresh frozen sweet peas, thawed
- 1/2cup light cream
- 1 frozen pie crust, cooked and broken in bite-size pieces
- Pound chicken to tenderize, quick freeze for 30 minutes for easy cutting, then cube. Put chicken and stock in large stockpot and cook on medium-high heat for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix oil and flour until well blended. Then slowly pour and stir into chicken broth mixture until slightly thickened. Reduce heat to medium low or low for 15 minutes.
- Add carrots, onions, celery, black pepper, Italian seasoning and bouillon. Cook for an additional 15 minutes. Turn off heat, and then add peas and cream. Stir until mixed well.
- Serve into mugs and top with equal amounts of piecrust as garnish.
Optional Alternative Crock-pot Preparation:
- With Crock-pot set on high for 4 hours, add oil and saute carrots, onions and celery for about 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add flour and stir until paste begins to form, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes. Add chicken, stock, black pepper, Italian seasoning and bouillon powder and stir until mixed well. Cover and let cook, stirring about once every hour.
- About half an hour before finished cooking, add cream and peas and stir. Cover and stir periodically for the last 30 minutes of cooking. Top with piecrust pieces and serve.
1 serving = 1 cup
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 419
- Fat 22g
- Saturated Fat 7g
- Cholesterol 94mg
- Sodium 296mg
- Potassium 412mg
- Carbohydrate 24g
- Protein 30g
- Trans Fat 0g