Chinese Chicken Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
- 12-- square wonton wrappers
- 4cups mesclun or torn romaine lettuce
- 2cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2package enoki mushrooms
- 1can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3-- scallions, sliced into thin rounds
- 1-- rib celery, finely chopped
- 2tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1teaspoon sesame oil
- 1teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2teaspoon sriracha sauce (optional)
We cut down the calories in this lunch classic by baking the wonton wrappers rather than buying them fried and using much less oil in the dressing. Fortune cookies are sold in the asian food section of the supermarket and at asian grocery stores.
1. PREHEAT the oven to 350°F. Cut the wonton wrappers into 1/2" strips. Place the strips on a nonstick baking sheet. Coat with cooking spray and bake until crisp and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
2. COMBINE the lettuce, chicken, mushrooms, water chestnuts, scallions, and celery in a large salad bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the vinegar, peanut oil, sesame seeds, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, mustard powder, and sriracha sauce (if desired). Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables. Toss to blend. Top with the crisp wonton skins.
MAKE IT A MEAL
1 cup canned pineapple chunks 50 CALORIES
1 fortune cookie 30 CALORIES
390 CALORIES PER MEAL
Reprinted from 400 Calorie Fix by Liz Vaccariello with Mindy Hermann, RD, and the Editors of Prevention. Copyright (c) 2010 by Rodale Inc. By permission of Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 310
- Fat 12 g
- Saturated Fat 3 g
- Sodium 290 mg
- Carbohydrate 28 g
- Fiber 6 g
- Protein 23 g
- Calcium 8 %