Chocolate Bilberry Fig Cookies
- Filling Ingredients
- 1/2cup dried figs, stems removed, soaked in hot water for 15 minutes
- 1/2cup soft, pitted Medjool dates (about 8), soaked in hot water for 15 minutes
- 1/2cup bilberry spread (or raspberry, orange, or any other fruit flavor)
- 1/2cup pecans
- 1/4cup + 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4cup water
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- Dough Dry Ingredients
- 2cups almond flour
- 1cup coconut flour
- 2teaspoons baking soda
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- Dough Wet Ingredients
- 1/2cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2cup honey
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4teaspoon liquid vanilla stevia
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a food processor with an S blade, puree filling ingredients for about 15 seconds. Set aside
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry dough ingredients/
- In a separate mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the wet dough ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and combine with the electric mixer.
- Lay half of the dough on a sheet of unbleached parchment paper.
- Lightly fold the top of the paper and roll the dough into a 7” x 10’ rectangle. Use your hands to press the edges in as you roll, making nice, clean edges.
- Add half the filling in a log shape 1 & ½” from one long side of the dough.
- Use the side of your hand to press the ends together, sealing the dough. Use a pizza cutter or knife to trim the excess dough.
- Using the pizza cutter in a back-and-forth motion, cut 1” cookies.
- Line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- Place the cookies 1” apart on the lined sheet.
- Repeat the process with the other half of the dough and filling.
- Bake cookies for about 12 minutes.
- Store any leftover cookies on the counter, lightly covered with a cloth napkin.
Reprinted with permission from The Paleo Chocolate Lover’s Cookbook by Kelly V. Brozyna, copyright © 2013. Published by Victory Belt Publishing Inc.