Chocolate Caramel Meringue Cookies
- Yield: 34 pieces
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 10 minutes
- 3large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon caramel extract
- 4ounces dark chocolate, melted and cooled
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 350F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper, nonstick baking mats or lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Beat egg whites and salt in mixing bowl with electric mixer on high speed until frothy.
- Gradually add sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and caramel extract and continue beating until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- With rubber spatula, gently fold melted chocolate into the egg whites until no white streaks remain.
- Drop 2 teaspoons of batter 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets, fitting about 16 cookies per sheet. Bake until set, 10 to 12 minutes. Turn off oven and leave the macaroons in with door slightly ajar for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
Recipe courtesy of Jennifer at Peanut Butter and Peppers.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 36
- Fat 1
- Sodium 11
- Potassium 17
- Carbohydrate 7
- Fiber 1
- Sugars 6
- Protein 1