Chocolate Chunk Blondie Bars
- Yield: 16 pieces
- 2 1/2cups plus 2 tablespoons Basic Gluten-Free Flour Mix *
- 1/2teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 1/2teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 3/4cup dairy-free, soy-free vegetable shortening
- 3/4cup granulated sugar
- 1/4cup plus 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer mixed with 2 tablespoons rice milk
- 1/4cup plus 1 teaspoon rice milk
- 6ounces Enjoy Life Rice Milk bars or Dark Chocolate Boom Choco Boom bars, chopped into centimeter-size chunks (about 4 bars)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 by 9-inch pan.
- Whisk together the flour mix, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the shortening, granulated sugar, and brown sugar, beating on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and egg replacer and mix for 20 seconds.
- Add the flour mix in three batches, mixing on low speed, alternating with the rice milk, and beginning and ending with the flour mix.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Spread the batter evenly across the bottom of the baking pan.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 35 minutes, or until lightly golden, rotating the pan halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan on a cooling rack for about 15 minutes. Cut into 16 squares. Let cool.
Reprinted with permission from The Allergen-Free Baker’s Handbook by Cybele Pascal (Celestial Arts; 2009). Photo credit: Chugrad McAndrews. Purchase here.