Chocolate Espresso Pots
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 15 minutes, plus chilling
- 14 ounces can prunes in fruit juice
- 5 1/2ounces dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1ounce pistachios, finely chopped
- Strain the prunes, reserving the juice, then press each prune gently between your fingers to eject the stone. Put the prunes into a food processor or blender with 3 ½ fl oz of the juice and process to a purée.
- Melt the chocolate in a small heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir in the prune mixture and egg yolks.
- In a large, clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture using a large metal spoon.
- Spoon the chocolate mixture into 4 espresso cuts of individual serving dishes and transfer to the refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour.
- Remove form the refrigerator just before serving and scatter with a few chopped pistachio nuts.
—Reprinted with permission from The Diabetes Cookbook. Copyright 2013, DK Publishing.