Chocolate Rice Crisp-Wee Treats
- Yield: 16 pieces
Unlike the ones you would buy at the grocery made with lots of corn syrup, these get their sweet taste from brown rice syrup and some added nutrition from high-protein peanut and almond butters.
- olive or canola oil cooking spray
- 2/3cup brown rice syrup
- 1/3cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/3cup smooth almond butter
- 1/4cup cocoa powder
- 3 1/2cups crispy rice cereal
- Coat an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, whisk the brown rice syrup, peanut butter, almond butter, and cocoa powder for about 2 minutes, until melted and starting to bubble.
- Place the rice cereal in a large bowl, pour in the nut butter mixture, and stir with a spatula until completely combined.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and press down to flatten the top (I put my hand in a zip-top bag to keep it from sticking).
- Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into triangle shapes or squares or roll into balls, and serve.
Reprinted with permission from Weelicious: 140 Fast, Fresh, and Easy Recipes by Catherine McCord.