- Yield: 10 servings
- 1tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1medium onion, diced
- 6cloves garlic, minced
- 6cups vegetable stock
- 1teaspoon hickory liquid smoke
- 2cups textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 2tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1/2teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3cup tomato paste
- 1tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2tablespoons chili powder
- 1tablespoon dried oregano
- 1tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 3cups cooked kidney beans
- 1pound dry spaghetti
- 1/4cup chopped fresh parsley
- Warm the oil in a large deep skillet, like a braising skillet, over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add 2 cups of the stock and the liquid smoke and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat, then stir in the TVP and allow to sit until it absorbs all the liquid, about 3 minutes. Increase the heat to medium and stir in the cocoa, allspice, cinnamon, cayenne, cloves, tomato paste, vinegar, chili powder, oregano, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, kidney beans, and remaining 4 cups stock. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered and stirring often, until thickened, about 30 minutes.
- While chili is simmering, cook the spaghetti according to the directions on the package.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons parsley into the cooked chili. Divide the spaghetti among 10 bowls then top with chili. Garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons parsley.
Recipes from Quick and Easy Low-Cal Vegan Comfort Food: 150 Down-Home Recipes Packed with Flavor, Not Calories, copyright © Alicia C. Simpson, 2012. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold.