Cinnamon French Toast with Caramel Apples
- Yield: 10 servings
- 1/2cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3tablespoons butter
- 5-- Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/2cup pure maple syrup
- 2-- eggs
- 3-- egg whites
- 1cup skim milk
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8slices cinnamon raisin bread
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 3-quart oblong baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place 1/2 cup sugar in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar melts and begins to turn golden, about 6 minutes. Stir in butter until melted together. Fold in apple slices. If mixture hardens, keep stirring. It should dissolve again once apples have warmed.
- When mixture and apples are well combined, gradually add maple syrup, cooking about 6 minutes or until apples are tender. Set mixture aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together eggs, egg whites, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, until well mixed.
- Cover bottom of prepared dish with apple mixture. Lay bread slices on top of the apple mixture. Carefully top with egg mixture.
- Let sit for 15 minutes, allowing bread to soak up mixture. Bake 25 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg's Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites: Over 250 Easy Recipes from My Louisiana Kitchen, 2008
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 244
- Fat 6g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 52mg
- Sodium 151mg
- Carbohydrate 44g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 35g
- Protein 6g