Gluten-Free Banana Bread
- Yield: servings
- 3/4cup mashed bananas
- 2tablespoons milk
- 1/2teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/2cup sorghum flour
- 1/3cup low-fat soy flour
- 2tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1/4cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2teaspoons GF baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1whole large egg yolk
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
1. In a large bowl, combine bananas, milk and vinegar. Let stand for 5 minutes.
2. In a bowl or plastic bag, combine sorghum flour, soy flour, tapioca starch, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt. Mix well and set aside.
3. Add egg yolk and oil to banana mixture and, using an electric mixer, beat until combined. Add dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
4. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Let stand for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
5. Bake for 20 minutes. Check to see if loaf is getting too dark and tent with foil if necessary. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until internal temperature of loaf registers 200°F (100°C) on an instant-read thermometer. Let cool in pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.
You’ll need about 2 very ripe medium bananas for 3⁄4 cup (175 mL) mashed. Do not add extra. This is a very dark loaf, and will appear baked before it is, so it is important to take the internal temperature.
Excerpted from The Gluten-Free Baking Book by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt © 2011 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.