Classic Pot Roast with Mushrooms
- Yield: servings
- 3pounds chuck roast
- -- (about 2 inches thick)
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon black pepper
- 3tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2cups thinly sliced yellow or white onion
- 3/4cup diced carrot
- 3/4cup diced celery or celery root
- 1-- parsnip, peeled and diced
- 8-- garlic cloves, chopped
- 1pound shiitake or portabello mushrooms, sliced
- 1teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2cups reduced-sodium, low-fat beef broth
- 8ounces tomato sauce
- 1 1/2cups red wine
- 1 1/2teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2-- bay leaves
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- 2tablespoons cold water
- Preheat oven to 300F. Trim beef of all visible fat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large Dutch oven. Add beef and brown on all sides. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onion, carrot, celery and parsnip to pan. Saute
- until lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, mushrooms, chili powder and cook 3 minutes.
- Return meat to pan, and add broth, tomato sauce, red wine, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cover and place in oven and cook 3 to 31/2 hours, until beef is fork tender. (There will be lots of liquid.)
- Dissolve cornstarch in cold water. Pour cornstarch mixture into pan, stirring constantly. Return to oven and cook 15 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Serves 10.
Recipe by Chef Chris Koetke.