Coconut Chicken Curry
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
"Curry" is from the Indian word kari, meaning "sauce." It is used to describe any spicy, sauce-based dish. It actually contains no curry powder.
- 3tablespoons fish sauce, plus more for serving
- 3tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3-- garlic cloves, chopped
- 2tablespoons grated, peeled fresh ginger
- 2teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2pounds boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2medium onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2teaspoons paprika
- 3-- (13 1/2-ounce) cans unsweetened lite coconut milk
- 5cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2cup chickpea or all-purpose flour
- 1pound dried, thin Chinese egg noodles (labeled "chow mein stir-fry noodles")
- 6-- hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 4tablespoons roasted dried red chiles
- 1large yellow onion, slivered
- 2-- green onions, chopped
- 1cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 2-- limes, quartered
- Combine fish sauce, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and turmeric in a medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat well. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add paprika.
- Add chicken. Cook 4 to 5 minutes. Add coconut milk and broth. Cover and simmer over low heat 20 minutes.
- Place chickpea flour in a small bowl. Ladle 1/2 cup warm soup liquid from the Dutch oven into the flour. Stir until smooth. Add paste to soup. Simmer over medium-low heat until soup is thick, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold running water.
- Divide noodles among 8 individual serving bowls. Ladle about 1 1/2 cups soup over noodles in each bowl. Garnish with eggs, chiles, onions, cilantro, limes and fish sauce.
Recipe adapted with permission from The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook (Sasquatch Books, 2009)
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 880
- Fat 60g
- Saturated Fat 32g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 15g
- Monounsaturated Fat 9g
- Cholesterol 200mg
- Sodium 1110mg
- Potassium 860mg
- Carbohydrate 50g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugars 4g
- Protein 40g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 15%
- Vitamin C 20%
- Calcium 10%
- Iron 60%