Coconut Shrimp with Pineapple Salsa
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- Pineapple Salsa:
- 1 1/2cups finely chopped fresh pineapple
- 1/3cup chopped red onion
- 2tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3cup pineapple preserves
- 1tablespoon finely chopped fresh jalapeno
- 1tablespoon lime juice
- 1/3cup cornstarch
- 1/2teaspoon cayenne or to taste
- -- Salt to taste
- 3-- egg whites
- 1 1/4cups flaked coconut
- 1 1/2pounds medium peeled shrimp
- To prepare salsa: In bowl, combine all ingredients. Makes 2 cups.
- Preheat oven 400F. Coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray
- To prepare shrimp: In shallow bowl, combine cornstarch, cayenne and salt. In another bowl, beat egg whites until frothy, about 2 minutes. Place coconut on plate.
- Coat shrimp with cornstarch mixture, dip into egg whites, and roll in coconut. Place shrimp on prepared pan.
- Bake 15 minutes, turn shrimp, and continue baking another 5 to 10 minutes or until shrimp are done. Serve with Pineapple Salsa.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg's Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites: Over 250 Easy Recipes from My Louisiana Kitchen, 2008.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 261
- Fat 4g
- Saturated Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 168mg
- Sodium 266mg
- Carbohydrate 33g
- Protein 20g