Chicken Tequila Mama
- Yield: servings
- For Dressing:
- 3-- fresh tomatillos
- 3-- roma tomatoes, halved
- 1tablespoon Tequila
- 1large clove garlic, minced
- 2teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 2tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1tablespoon plus 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4cup fresh corn kernels
- 4-- ( 8 inch ) Tomato flavored flour tortillas ( or plain)
- 2-- ( 6 inch) corn tortillas ( cut into 1/4 inch wide strips)
- 1 1/2pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/3cup chili paste ( recipe follows)
- 1cup rinsed drained black beans
- 1/4cup water
- 2-- firm ripe avocados
- 2teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 4cups loosely packed mixed greens
- 2tablespoons finely chopped orange bell pepper
- 2tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 1/2ounces mild goat cheese, crumbled
- 8-- thin slices red onion
- 4-- roma tomatoes, cut crosswise into 16 slices
- -- fresh sprigs of cilantro
- Chili paste:
- 1/4cup finely chopped sweet yellow onion ( such as maui, vidalia)
- 1large clove garlic, minced
- 2tablespoons chili powder
- 1tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2teaspoons ground corriander seeds
- 1 1/2teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 3/4teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne
To make dressing:
Remove husks and rinse tomatillos under warm water.
Pat dry. Halve tomatillos and arrange with tomatoes, cut side up, in one layer on rack of broiler pan. Broil tomatillos and tomatoes about 3-inches from heat until very soft and edges are browned, about 10 minutes.
In a blender, puree tomatillo mixture with Tequila, garlic, vinegar, mustard and lime juice. With motor running add oil in a thin stream, blending until emulsified.;
In a medium bowl whisk dressing together with cilantro and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and set aside.
In a 12-inch heavy skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Saute corn until golden brown and tender, stirring, about 3 minutes.
Transfer corn to a bowl to cool.
Wipe out skillet.
Add the remaining 1 cup oil to skillet and heat over medium-high heat. fry flour tortillas, 1 at a time, turning them until golden, about 1 minute. Transfer tortillas to a paper towel lined baking sheet to drain. Remove skillet from heat, reserving oil. Season fried tortillas with salt and pepper.
In reserved oil in skillet fry corn tortilla strips, stirring until golden brown, about 1 minute. Transfer tortilla strips with tongs to another paper-towel lined baking sheet to drain and season with salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly oil a shallow baking dish.
Rub chicken all over with chili paste and arrange in one layer in pan. Roast chicken on middle rack in oven for about 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and keep warm, covering with foil.
In a small saucepan heat beans with water over medium heat, stirring until heated through and keep warm, covered.
Quarter, pit and peel avocados. Cut avocados lengthwise into 16 thin wedges and in a medium bowl, toss gently with lemon juice. Cut chicken into 1/4-inch thick slices. In a large mixing bowl, toss the field greens with corn, bell peppers and enough dressing to coat.
Put a flour tortilla on each of 4 plates. Drain beans and divide among tortillas. Mound field greens over beans and arrange chicken and avocado on top. Sprinkle salads with goat cheese and top with onion slices.
Garnish with tomatoes, cilantro sprigs and corn tortilla strips. serves 4.
This recipe may seem long and complicated, but it is not.