Cornish Hens with Wild Rice Stuffing
- Yield: 16 servings
- 8-- Cornish game hens (about 1 1/2 pounds each)
- 1tablespoon paprika
- 1tablespoon garlic powder
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-- onions, chopped
- 2-- green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4-- celery stalks, chopped
- 1tablespoon minced garlic
- 1bunch green onions, chopped
- 3-- (6-ounce) packages long grain and wild rice
- 1-- (16-ounce) jar peach preserves
- 3tablespoons honey
- 3tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2/3cup golden raisins
- 4-- baking apples, cored and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Clean and rinse Cornish game hens. Place in a large casserole dish and pat dry. Season with the paprika, garlic powder, and salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a large pan coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute onions, green peppers, celery, garlic and green onions until tender, about 7 minutes. Add rice mix and water according to package directions, omitting any oil and salt. Cook until rice is done and liquid is absorbed, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Stuff each hen with rice mixture.
- In another saucepan, heat peach preserves, honey and brown sugar over medium heat until bubbly, about 4 minutes. Pour over hens. Sprinkle with raisins and sliced apples. Bake 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until hens are done. You might have to cover them with foil during the last 30 minutes if hens get too brown. To serve, cut each hen in half and serve with the dressing.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 570
- Fat 18.5g
- Saturated Fat 5.1g
- Cholesterol 118mg
- Sodium 486mg