Couscous Confetti Salad
- Yield: 8 servings
Whole-wheat couscous is sold in natural food stores and some supermarkets.
- 1 1/2cups dry whole-wheat couscous
- 2cups boiling water
- 3 to 4-- green onions, finely chopped, including tops
- 1-- red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1-- carrot, grated
- 1 to 2cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1/2cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2cup golden raisins or chopped dried apricots
- -- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1teaspoon curry powder
- 1 1/2teaspoons teaspoons salt
- In a large bowl, combine couscous and boiling water. Stir to mix, then cover and let stand until all the water has been absorbed, 5 to 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Add green onions, bell pepper, carrot, cabbage, parsley, and raisins or apricots.
- In a small bowl mix lemon juice, vinegar, oil, curry powder, and salt. Add to salad and toss to mix. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Makes about 8 cups.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Healthy Eating for Life to Prevent and Treat Diabetes by Patricia Bertron, R.D.; recipe by Jennifer Raymond, M.S., R.D.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 194
- Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 283mg
- Carbohydrate 40g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugars 10g
- Protein 5g