Cranberry, Apple and Sausage Stuffing
- Yield: 6 servings
- 8tablespoons (1/2 cup) butter
- 2medium onions, finely diced
- 3cups chopped celery, about 6 large stalks
- 6cups coarsely chopped leeks (about 12)
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1pound turkey breakfast sausage or Italian-style sausage, casings removed
- 6teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves (about 4 sprigs)
- 2teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 2teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2cups dried cranberries
- 1box stuffing mix (not cornbread)
- 2cups (1 pint) low-sodium vegetable stock
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and saute the onions, celery, leeks, apples, and sausage, breaking up the sausage as you cook. After about 10 minutes, add the poultry seasoning, fresh herbs and dried cranberries. Add the dried stuffing mix and moisten with the vegetable stock. Season stuffing mix with salt and pepper, to taste. (I like the stuffing a little wetter – if you don’t, just add less stock)
- Place into a buttered casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes.
Copyright 2013. R. Mission Inc.