Cranberry Pear Kuchen
- Yield: 12 servings
- Fruit Layer:
- 2cups cranberries, chopped
- 8teaspoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4cup cold water
- 1/2 pear or apple, peeled and coarsely chopped
- Kuchen Layer:
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2cup crunchy topping of oats, brown sugar, nuts, and cinnamon
1. Fruit Layer: In a saucepan, combine cranberries, sugar, cinnamon and 1 cup (250 mL) water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring, for 5 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and cold water. Stir into cranberry mixture and simmer, stirring, until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in pear. Set aside.
3. Kuchen Layer: In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
4. In another bowl, whisk together sugar, egg, 1⁄3 cup (75 mL) water, oil and vanilla until frothy. Stir into flour mixture until just blended.
5. Spread kuchen layer in prepared baking dish. Pour fruit layer over kuchen layer. Sprinkle with topping.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Serve warm.
Excerpted from 250 Essential Diabetes Recipes by Sharon Zeiler, Canadian Diabetes Association © 2011 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.